usa4-Gerrit: Julius | Innette & Louis | Otto | Chauncy Edward | Sis | Romey Gerret | Susie Iris | Julius Orville | Frederic Burton

Innette (....-....) and Louis (1882-1959) Sleyster ( us4 )
Thomas > Thomas > Willem > Jan Jurjen> Albertus > Pieter Johannes > Jan Hendrik> Gerrit > Innette and Louis 

Brother and sister Louis and Innette (Nettie) Sleyster


   Louis Sleyster (1882 - 1959)...
   Mary Augusta Sleyster (1889 - 1919)...

Teny Ream Sleyster
 - Birth: Dec. 14, 1917, Dalton, Chariton County, Missouri, USA
 - Death: Apr. 18, 1919, Dalton, Chariton County, Missouri, USA

Run-Away Horses Plunged Into Automobile, 
Bringing Death or Injury to Five Persons.

One of the most sick and distressing accidents that ever took place in Chariton county occured about three miles south of Dalton last Thursday night about 9:30 o'clock when a team of horses owned by Harvey Renahan ran away and plunged into a Maxwell car, owned by Louis Sleyster, and occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Sleyster, their infant son, Tenny Ream Sleyster, Mr. Henry Bass and Mrs. John Henning.
We have been unable to secure the exact details of the tragic affair, which has spread deep sorrow over all this section of the county. However, from the information we have obtained, the facts are substantially as follows:

Mr. and Mrs. Sleyster and little son, Mr. Bass and Mrs. Henning had attended services at the Methodist church, some three or four miles south of Dalton, and had just started home in their car. Harvey Renahan, a well known young man of the neighborhood, was spending the evening at the home of Wm. Bucksath, in the smae neighborhood. His team, which had been hitched to the fence at Mr. Bucksath's either broke loose or was turned loose. Finding themselves free, the horses dashed at full speed along the road in the direction of the church. Mr. Sleyster's car had gone only about two hundred yards from the church where the run-away horses, now thoroughly frightened and running at break-neck speed dashed head-on into the automobile. One of the animals struck the front part of the car, and the other striking the car fairly between the front and back seats, tore its way entirely through and over the machine and fell on the opposite side.
Other parties returning home from the church soon reached the scene and were horrified at the awful results of the collision. Mrs. Sleyster had been crushed against the back of the automobile seat, her neck and one arm broke, and her body frightfully crushed. The infant son, Tenny Ream Sleyster, had been thrown down to the floor of the car, and there crushed or trampled by the horses until he was fatally injured. Mr. Sleyster still sat holding the steering wheel of the car, although unconscious, and bleeding from numerous cuts and bruises. He remained in an unconscious condition for several hours after the accident. The other two occupants of the car, Mr. Bass and Mrs. Henning were seriously cut and bruised, and also were in a semi-conscious condition till the following day. The automobile was totally wrecked, and both of the horses badly hurt.

The occupants of the car were hurried to the home of Mr. and Mrs. George Bucksath, not far distant, but Mrs. Sleyster died from her injuries before reaching there. The little baby boy was tenderly cared for, and every effort possible made to save his life, but he, too, succumbed to his injuries Friday afternoon. A double funeral service was held for the mother and baby at Dalton church Sunday afternoon. 

Late reports from Dalton indicate that Mr. Sleyster, Mrs. Henning and Mr. Bass, although still suffering from their injuries, are improving, and their complete recovery is expected.

Mary Augusta Sleyster was born in Howard County, Mo., May 6th, 1889. She was the youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Varnold. At the age of six she was left motherless. On the 20th of October 1916 she was married to Louis Sleyster.

A fine big boy was born to them on the 14th of December 1917 and the home joy now seemed complete. They called this little fellow, who was all their joy Tenny Ream. On the 16th of February of this year they presented him for Christian baptism at the altar of their home church. With joy and pride they watched him grow and develop as he laughed and prattled and filled their hearts and home with sunshine.
On Thursday night, April 17th, returning from a gospel meeting at the church, the tragedy occurred. Having bid the pastor and friends good-bye they started homeward lyes friends homeward is the word--only mother and son arrived there before father. They were in their Maxwell car, and two friends with them. A runaway team hitched to a buggy met them not over 200 yards from the church. There was a crash, a wreck and all was lifted from the car-dead. All the other occupants were hurt but the baby most severely. All that loving hands could do, was done but within 24 hours he was home with mother.

This leaves father sad and lonely with, oh such a tugging at his heart strings. And grand-father, who made his home with them, who called them both his babies, what will he do without them?

Mrs. Sleyster also leaves five sisters and three brothers, many relatives and friends and a whole community shocked and grieved at their sudden and seemingly untimely death. 


 ( us4 )